Tuesday 22 March 2011

life revision

moving in

there’s a picture of a corner shop printed
on the tiles in the kitchen, boasting linen and
fresh produce from centuries ago. i sweep
coffee granules from the counter, lift twin
steaming cups to the bedroom. the floorboards
creak and groan. all my stuff’s laid out; clothes
piled in a new wardrobe, big enough to hide in.
curtains and bed sheets clash like dogs and cats.

i said goodbye but kept my keys. like i was never
really leaving, made plans for curry and cocktails
so i could still be that ghost. floating from room to
room and calling each one home. anonymity at large.
i’ve a list of broken postcodes on my phone
reminding me where to go. each door is left ajar.

sticky limbed and silent at 2AM, i sweep the covers
from my shoulders. we try to sleep, in this strange
hotel hell with someone else’s heating bill. empty
mugs and boxes have piled up. there’s a special
spot for baggage in a house where people speak
too loud. i’ll cry about it when the lights are out,
but tomorrow - we’ll explore this town.

2 comments:

  1. Red, this is really good. I think this is one of my favorites I've ever read from you.


    "i said goodbye but kept my keys. like i was never
    really leaving, made plans for curry and cocktails
    so i could still be that ghost."


    That phrase is really cool, especially "that ghost".

    If you continue to write in this style, I think some amazing things will come of it. Great job, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "we try to sleep, in this strange
    hotel hell with someone else’s heating bill."

    !!!

    Awesome.

    Hi.

    ReplyDelete